The Department has been in existence since 2006 and was the fifth programme to be accredited in the Polytechnic. Within the year under review, a team from the National Accreditation Board conducted an academic audit of the polytechnic and provisional recommendations which were made by the Audit Team are currently receiving attention from management.
To be a centre for the training of excellent Civil Engineers who will be capable of taking up any Civil Engineering challenge at their level of education.
The mission among others shall be:
- To provide theoretical and practical training aimed at preparing middle level managers and supervisory personnel for the civil engineering and construction industry.
- To train students to acquire hands on skills in applied
civil engineering works through Competency Based Training.Innovations
- Design and Construction of Wa Polytechnic Internal Roads
- Design and Construction of Waste Management Systems for Wa Polytechnic, Kpongo, Kunta and SSNIT Residential Areas
- Design and Construction 3No. 3 Bedroom Simple Storey Domestic Building for Wa Polytechnic Staff
- Is working on a proposal in collaboration with the Community Water and Sanitation Agency, Regional Headquarters in Wa, to offer Training on the Maintenance of Borehole Systems in the Region to Community Representatives. This programme is intended to develop in to a short-course under the department in the future.
- Further plans to organise training seminars on Construction Project Management for Road Contractors in the Region. This would possibly be expanded to include Building Contractors after the pilot phase.
- Also plans to make functional the equipment in the Laboratory as well as compartmentalize the laboratory so as to generate income for the institution by opening the laboratory to the Contractors in the Region.
- Intends to market the Civil Engineering Programme by designing and producing hand bills on the various specialisations and job opportunities that exist within the programme. This we hope would attract students to apply for the programme, thereby increase the Departments enrolment.